Thursday, September 16, 2010

Serving

So not only am I a college student/comedian; I live a completely separate life, a life in which I happen to take orders from hungry patrons and bring them their food. I am what some would call a waiter/server (I prefer the latter). Serving is a job, not a career. It is merely a means to an end as I embark on what the future beholds; however, I cannot embark on this future without $ or as some would say, "Cheddar" and thus, serving provides this "Cheddar." Most individuals who are a part of this service industry don't like it because, in all honesty, one must be a glutton for punishment to make a decent amount of "Cheddar." I myself am one of these people. No matter what the customer needs or wants, I will not only act upon it promptly, I will do it with a smile. I hate the fact that I am this way, but I can't help it, I like to make others happy at my own expense. I wish I could be the kind of server who just meanders by tables not paying attention to customers' glasses being more than half empty, not clearing their plates when they're done, taking hours to bring them their extra blue cheese dressing when it should only take moments. I wish I could be the worst server in the world! This is unfortunately not possible for me, I have too much pride in what I do, no matter what it is. I will willingly make sure any and every customer enjoys my service, even if it makes me look like a brown nosing bitch. Sometimes, you have to take a few on the chin and walk away a better person; But sometimes, you cannot sacrifice your pride for the sake of your own dignity. I know a server who exemplified that statement and he's going to share a story with you now. I had to use special lighting techniques to protect his identity...

No comments:

Post a Comment